The Laboratory of Biotechnology (Biotech Lab) is a research unit of the Department of Biological Applications and Technologies (http://bat.uoi.gr/eng/index.php) of the University of Ioannina (www.uoi.gr).
More than 80 under-graduate, 12 M.Sc., 15 PhD students and 4 Postdoctoral researchers have worked in the Laboratory of Biotechnology.
The research group of the Laboratory of Biotechnology is headed by Professor Haralambos (Haris) Stamatis and is additionally administered by Assistant Professor Petros Katapodis and Laboratory Teaching Staff member Dr. Angeliki Polydera. The research group has an extensive research activity and experience in the field of Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Biocatalysis and Nanobiotechnology.
Members of the group have participated in 20 European and Greek funded research projects and have more than 130 publications in International peer-review Journals and books. The Laboratory of Biotechnology maintains a fruitful collaboration with numerous Greek and European Laboratories.
The main research activities of the members of the Biotech Lab focus on the following fields:
– Development of “green” enzymatic and microbial processes for the production of high-value products (antioxidants, nutraceuticals, compounds with antiplatelet, anticancer, anti-angiogenic, anti-microbial and anti-aging activity), biodegradation of pollutants and valorization of agro-industrial by-products
– Development of bio-nanoassemblies and bio-nanodevices, utilizing enzyme immobilization technology, 3D printing and microfluidic technology, and their application in multienzymatic processes, drug delivery and biosensing.
– Green processes for the production of functionalized nanomaterials
– Production, cloning, overexpression, purification and characterization of enzymes, Improvement of enzymes properties using enzyme engineering approaches
– Production of high-value products and biofuels by microbial cultures and microalgae (Modeling/Optimization/ Scale-up).